The bridge in the town centre was built in the mid-1400s and is one of the finest medieval bridges in England. In the mid-1800s, the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway from Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge and its branch line to Bodmin was built by local landowner Sir William Molesworth of Pencarrow. The railway cost £35,000 to build.
The line opened on the 30 September 1834 and was intended to carry sand from the Camel Estuary to inland farms for use as fertiliser.
The locomotive Camel pulled carriages containing 400 passengers. This railway is notable for being one of the first in Britain to carry passengers.
In 1967 the last passenger train left Wadebridge railway station following the proposals by Dr Beeching for the closure of many railways.
Today, the railway has been transformed into the Camel Trail, a scenic and extremely popular cycling and walking trail.
The parish church of Wadebridge is situated at St Breock, down a quiet tree-lined lane and at Egloshayle on the east of the river.
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.